Thursday, August 2, 2012

DIY Crib Skirt

So, when I started looking at crib bedding a few months ago, I was blown away by two things: 1. How cute a baby boy nursery can actually be… 2. How outrageously expensive crib bedding is! If you have never been to the website www.babybedding.com, you probably shouldn’t. The cuteness found on this website is frustrating when you don’t have the budget that you want for a beautiful nursery. This is the bedding set that I had my heart set on:

mist-and-gray-chevron-crib-skirt-14-inch-straight_medium(2)

The great thing about this website is that they sell all of the fabric that they use in their bedding sets by the yard. I decided to take a chance at making my own bedding and bought some fabric. With a little help from this website and tutorial: http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/04/silliest-little-adjustable-crib-skirt-tutorial-on-the-web/ , I made my first attempt at a crib skirt.

IMG_1989

I started with 3 different panels (1 for the front, 2 for the sides).

IMG_1993

I felt that they looked a little plain so I added a little coordinating trim and I even attempted a pleat!

IMG_1994

Instead of making an actual skirt, I used the advice I read in the tutorial and attached each panel separately…with safety pins and office clips.

IMG_1996

IMG_1997

Before:

IMG_1991

After:

IMG_1998

IMG_2003

IMG_2006

I was impressed with my homemade crib skirt, especially because I really don’t know how to sew. The skirt on the website (from the first picture) costs $89. I spent less than $10 on mine. Needless to say, I was excited to save so much money…especially because it allowed me to justify buying this little gem:

IMG_2008

Hello, beautiful.

IMG_2011IMG_2010

My next project is to make the inside of the crib a little less empty and to fill that bare wall above it with something fun.

I’ve also been having some great baby showers. Here is a little sneak preview of my next post:

kylee_shower_02kylee_shower_56

I’m obsessed with the cuteness.

3 comments:

  1. Petunia Picklebottom!!!! They are the cutest diaper bags ev-ah.

    And your crib skirt is so so adorable. Nice frugal job, I'm so impressed. Can't wait to see the nursery all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylee the crib skirt turned out darling! I love it, it looks better then the store made version! I am so excited for you, you're going to be the cutest mom ever. Knowing your mad crafting skills that is going to be one darling nursery!
    Yes, post your shower pics ASAP! I am dying to see them!! Still can't get over the fact I was out of town... =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a domestic lady, I love the crib skirt! Could you please rub some of that off on me!

    ReplyDelete