Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pilgrims, Indians and a Feast…Oh My!

I love thanksgiving. I love the food, I love spending time with family, and I love the Black Friday ads. I love that everyone is especially grateful for things they might not normally express, I love that the air is crisp and that the leaves are crunchy under my feet. This year, I had to sign up for a holiday call shift at work and picked the night before/morning of the big day. I thought that even if I got called in, I would not have to work on Thanksgiving and could catch up on some sleep before the event. My call shift began at 11pm on the 23rd and sure enough, I got that call that I was needed at work at 11. I struggled my way through re-dressing and driving the long route to the hospital but was excited to participate in the surgery that would be starting at midnight. There had been a patient who was on life support and who made the selfless choice of being an organ donor upon her passing. I had the great opportunity of participating in her organ procurement that night where her heart and both of her kidneys were taken and immediately sent away to be given to others. I was overwhelmed in those late hours with the spirit of God- seeing one life end but also knowing that the lives of 2 others would be prolonged because of the generosity of this woman and her family. What a lucky opportunity for me to see this happen and to participate in such an honorable cause- I truly felt thankful for organ donors that night.

Though I was grateful for the experience, working through the night is not easy. The last thing I wanted to do at 5am was to go home to prepare for the Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5k that I was signed up to run at 8am. For anyone who knows my sister Erin, you know that she is one persistent cookie. I knew that she would not be happy if I ditched out on the race 3 hours beforehand. So..here we are, happy as clams to run in the cold. I will say that I am glad that I went- we had a great time. I am glad for a sister who is always pushing me to be healthier and supporting me even when all that I want to eat is a cupcake.

IMG_1335

If it looks like I haven’t slept in 24 hours, that’s because I hadn’t slept in 24 hours.

After going home and sleeping for a few hours, James and I made our rounds for Thanksgiving dinners and (my personal favorite) Thanksgiving desserts.

When we got back home, I got to work on my favorite part of the whole weekend- Black Friday. It all started when I was little…I blame my mother for my shopping addiction. Nothing makes me happier than spending money (much to my dear husband’s dismay). As soon as I could fend for myself, my mother had be fighting through crowds for deals. Sometimes she would send me in and she would stay in the car (“You’re smaller, you can squeeze through easier”, “They’ll be nicer to you, you’re a kid!”). Needless to say, I learned quickly the ins and outs of having an effective and efficient Black Friday. I started dragging my friends along as soon as I could drive. My Junior year of high school, we made it into the newspaper because we were first in line at Target. When asked what we were there to get, I think that all of our responses were, “Nothing really, we just came to be apart of the madness”. Though that was fun, I must say that I enjoy shopping now even more than I used to. Now I have people to shop for, and now I have money. I don’t even care who I go with- this year I just went alone!

IMG_1337

Yes, I have a problem.

All in all it was a great weekend. In lieu of Thanksgiving though, I feel that I should publically acknowledge the things I am grateful for. First, my husband. I am so proud of him and love him more and more every day. Second, my family: My mom and dad, my step-dad and his family, Erin and Travis, Courtney and Canden, Gentry, Connor, my in-laws, and all of our extended family. I would be nothing without them. Third, my job. I am so lucky to have my dream job and to love going to work every day…I know what a rare blessing that is. Forth, I am surrounded by the most amazing and supportive friends. I love each of them and their husbands and couldn’t be more grateful for their examples and support they give to James and I. Above all, I am grateful for a heavenly father who loves me and my husband and who has blessed us more than we deserve.

 

Bring on Christmas!!

2 comments: